- Large plastic trash bags (for trash, waste and water protection).
- Large trash can.
- Bar soap and liquid detergent.
- Feminine and infant supplies.
- Toilet paper.
- Household liquid bleach for water purification, plus eyedropper for measuring.
- Newspaper to wrap garbage and waste.
- Pre-moistened towelettes.
- Bucket, plastic trash bags, bleach and two boards to construct a makeshift toilet.
Safety and Comfort
- Heavy gloves for cleaning up debris.
- Sturdy shoes (keep pair by bed).
- Clothes for protection from cold, rain or extreme heat.
- Matches, kept in waterproof, child-resistant container.
- Glowsticks or lightsticks.
- Garden hose with shut-off nozzle for fighting fire.
- Tent and tarps.
- Whistle to signal or help.
Tools and Supplies
- Crescent wrench, 12 inches or longer (store near natural gas shut-off in waterproof container).
- Axe, shovel, pry bar and broom.
- Screwdrivers, pliers and hammer.
- Coil of 1/2 inch nylon rope (50 feet).
- Pocket knife and staple gun.
- Pen and paper (stored in watertight container).
- Change for telephone or telephone calling card.
Emergency Supplies For Your Vehicle and Work
- Blanket and/or sleeping bag.
- Booster cables and tool kit.
- Bottled water (use a heavy plastic bottle specificalyl made for water storage and fill with tap water).
- Canned fruits and nuts and can opener.
- Critical prescriptions.
- Emergency flares and distress flag/sign.
- First aid kit and reference guide.